Under the title: "From Islands of Success to Seas of Change" a group of international organizations, businesses and researchers brought together by Wageningen UR are jointly posing the question:
“What works when scaling inclusive agri-food market development?”
As preparation for a learning workshop we are looking for inspiring initiatives related to large-scale, inclusive agri-food market development.
Our purpose is to understand what contributes to positive outcomes and identify approaches that are potentially adaptable to different products and contexts. Current initiatives will be important sources of inspiration and ideas to work with during the workshop in March or April of 2012.
Your contribution to the case studies is highly appreciated. We can offer you:
- All case studies will be published on our website (unless you prefer not).
- We expect to make a publication based on the most innovative cases, which we will look at in more depth.
- Several of the case studies will be used actively in the Seas of Change workshop, with support of the person who sent the case to us.
Criteria for selecting case studies for quick scan
To make sure your story is relevant to our overall focus, please use the following criteria to select from many efforts you know.
- Agri-food: the case must be about the agri-food sector.
- Scale: we are interested in both the breadth of change as well as depth of change. Cases should therefore be about working with large numbers of producers (smallholders, labourers, contract farmers, PO’s, in whatever way) and wanting to structurally improve the profitability/livelihood security of those involved. Scale can be achieved in different ways; single product, single value chain, single company initiatives or multiple interconnecting efforts.
- Inclusiveness: there is an explicit attempt to increase the structural inclusion of most/all actors in the market development. We are curious how ‘inclusiveness’ is given shape in different cases. Indicators of more inclusiveness could be:
- Building long-term trust between actors
- Ensuring proper incentives for long-term engagement in the market linkage
- Transfer of skills
- A balancing of power in decision making within the value chain/market linkage
- Demonstrable effect: we’d like to look at what has proven to have impact, rather than new ideas that might work.
Attached is a guiding structure for your story. We are looking for maximum 4 pages, which is about 2-3 hours of enjoyable work. There are two types of case studies we are going to work with:
- Quick scan (this call): We want to scan as many case studies as possible to generate ample ideas, options, approaches and models that could be adaptable innovations for others.
- In-depth case studies (from December on): In-depth case studies will be selected from the quick scans for more detailed study of the mechanisms and context important to success at scale.
Who and when
Please, send in your case study(ies) by November 25, 2011 to email@example.com
During December, all available cases will be looked at during an interim synthesis/analysis session, after which cases for the next analysis will be selected. We will then get in touch with you.